Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Don't Hurt Me Hammer


I am getting a day off from work tomorrow. Sort of. I (along with a number of other folks from work) am heading down to the Back of the Yards hood to volunteer for Habitat For Humanity. It's a great organization and I am thrilled to be associated with it. I plan on volunteering again on my own next month. Jimmy Carter rules!

Career Builder allows me 3 paid days off a year to do charitable work. We are also sponsoring a town to support The Millennium Project to end hunger in our lifetime. It makes me proud to work for a company that is so dedicated to giving back to the community. I even got to shake hands with Jeffrey Sachs at a company party . Very exciting for a dork like me.

If anyone is interested in having their company volunteer time or donate to one of these causes, please let me know and I can have one of the corporate coordinators in these organizations get in touch with you.

2 comments:

Moderator said...

That's one sweet job that lets you take a day off for charity work.

So what are you really doing?

Michael K said...

It was a great day. I got to use a drill, chainsaw, ax, shovel, hoe, and a sledgehammer. I like tools.

I am tired as shit but it was a lot of fun.

I am home now. The windows are open and one of my neighbors is cutting his grass. Another is barbecuing. The smell in my place makes it feel like summer. What a great day.