Monday, June 12, 2006

Elvis Costello is Awesome.

Elvis played Ravinia tonight. He was scheduled to play from 7 to 9 but he played three encores until nearly 10. Wonderful show. He opened with "What's so Funny 'bout Peace, Love and Understanding." I was in the restaurant's dining room when he started and was smiling all night listening to him. I stayed after work for the rest of the show and it was great. I didn't even care about riding home with the drunks.

I was so happy that when I got home to find a bunch of thugs drinking on the sidewalk and leaning against the gate, I actually thought about not calling the cops. But that's what's funny about peace, love and understanding. It has limits.

1 comment:

Fargo said...

I saw him in the early '90s. It was an outdoor concert in a smaller venue (a few thousand people in a city park). He played sets with the band, alternating with solo acoustic. He was in fine musical form and non-stop energy. Witty-funny, too. After 3 hours of great music, and multiple encores, the show ended. He went to the mic and said "hey folks, why not enjoy Mother Nature's show and check out the lunar eclipse?" He pointed to the sky, where the eclipse was just starting. Many of us stayed and enjoyed that 2nd show, then headed home. It was one of the coolest shows I've ever seen.