Thursday, May 18, 2006

B.S. is for Bus Stop

While waiting for the bus yesterday it began to rain. I was standing in the shelter and noticed that a guy was out standing by the sign and I realized he was blind. I walk over to him and ask him if he knows there is a shelter right over there and he says, "Yes, but I can't tell which bus it is so I have to stand here and ask the driver or listen to the announcement." What he meant is that this particular stop is served by several routes and he obviously can't see the number on the bus. I ask him which bus he's waiting for and he is waiting for the same one as me so I offer to let him know when it is coming and we go back to the shelter.

The problem here is that lately a lot of new shelters have been put in often up to 20-30 feet away from the actual stop and not all drivers stop at the shelters but at the sign. Why can't we make some sort of requirement that the drivers stop at the shelter so guys like this don't have to stand out in the elements? I couldn't think of a reason why not so I sent an email to the CTA and my alderman today and ask that each of you do the same thing. Thanks in advance for your help.

5 comments:

Knightridge Overlook said...

That's an ADA lawsuit waiting to happen.

Knightridge Overlook said...

Um, so, if you really want to see this change in a hurry, start writing letters to agencies for the blind, suggesting that they consider making a lawsuit out of it, and sending letters to lawyers that focus on ADA suits, suggesting that they seek out an appropriate plaintiff. I guess it's possible they'll do the right thing without being forced, but not likely. A cc to the City's law department wouldn't hurt.

kroushlconflict said...

Bus shelter? What's that?

Michael K said...

If you are standing at the stop, it is the glas thingy about 30 feet to the right of you.

kroushlconflict said...

I'm still looking.....to the right you say? Don't seem to have that around here. Would be nice though.