Saturday, December 10, 2005

A few thoughts on the recent smoking ban. I quit smoking about 5 years ago now and when I go out to places that allow smoking it really bothers me but I plan for it. I try to get a table by the door/window and wear clothes I don't mind smelling like an ashtray for 3 washings. if it gets too unpleasant, I go home. I have lots of friends who smoke and I would not want them to stay at home or be forced outdoors every time they wanted/needed a cigarette. Perhaps it is not always the case but smokers tend to be people with a more cavalier attitude towards life and in my opinion are often the life of any party.

The argument has been made that this will protect the bartenders and waitresses in these establishments from second hand smoke. I think that is somewhat logical but is really just an argument used to break down the opposition's argument that people can choose to go to a bar or resatauant that allows these things or choose to go to a place that chooses not to allow smoking on their own. The idea being that the employees do not have a choice. Fact is, they new they were going to be working in a smoky environment. Drinking and smoking go hand in hand. I know many people who only smoke when they drink and others who chain smoke when drinking who usually smoke very little. Anyone who does not expect a smoky environment when they apply for work at a bar must never have been in a bar in Chicago.

I also wonder how this will effect other businesses aside from bars. One in particular is the obligatory smoking lounges at funeral parlors. I know it is a little grim to think about, but can you imagine having to tell a grieving person that they need to go outside to smoke in the rain (15 feet away from the building no less) when a loved one has just passed? I would not have the nerve to do it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My mom is a smoker, so this doesn't specifically apply, but I'm sure the argument holds for others in similar situations - as a life-time server and bartender, she didn't really have many other "career" options. Given the choice of having a job that pays the bills and puts food on the table, and subjecting herself to second hand smoke or not working in a bar or restaurant because of the cigarette smoke, she would have had to deal with the smoke. Not really a choice there.

I've lived in Brookline (borders Boston), where bars and restaurants are all smoke-free, and it did not seem to affect the businesses. I'm not sure this argument really holds much water.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm in favor of a smoking ban.